MCAGCC Twentynine Palms, CA HistoryOn August 20th, 1952, by way of Post Order 343, something old for the Army and Navy became something-new for the burgeoning ranks of a growing Marine Corps. What was once a glider hanger for the Army and Navy, Condor Fields, would as of February 6th, 1953, be known to the military world as Marine Training Center, Twentynine Palms.
Located up the coast from its much larger brother, Camp Pendleton, sits Twentynine Palms. What started off as little more than a collection of firing ranges and training grounds soon became something more. On February 1st, 1957 it was redesignated Marine Corps Base Twentynine Palms.
In 1976, an airfield was added and with this new air-ground capability it was redesignated Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center in 1978. However, not even a year later, the Marine Corps had rebranded it once again, this time calling it the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.
By October 2000, it saw yet another redesignation, this time to Marine Corps Task Force Training Command. MCAGCC Twentynine Palms has become the ideal location for Marine Corps modern warfare training, and has expanded its capacity greatly since its inception. The base has been home to military tactical innovation such as the Combined Arms Exercises, as well as the Tactical Exercise Control Center.
Command tenants include MCCES, MCMWTC, Naval Hospital 29 Palms, 7th Mar Reg, 1st Bn 7th Marines, 2nd Bn 7th Marines, 3rd Bn 7th Marines, 3rd Bn 4th Marines, 3rd Bn 11th Marines, 1st Tank Bn, 4th Tank Bn, 3rd Combat Engineer Bn, 3rd LAR Bn, Combat Logistics Bn 7, D Co 3rd AA Bn, MAWTS 1, MWSS 374, VMU 1, VMU 3, and the 23rd Dental.